Sunday, January 27, 2008

The Grief of Our Parents

Lately I've been thinking a lot about how all of this has affected our parents. We hear over and over that the greatest loss is losing your own child. I also know that none of us want bad things to happen to our children and we grieve when they do. So I have tried to imagine how painful this all must be for my parents and Tim's parents. They have lost a grandson, which by it's self is painful no doubt, but to also watch Tim and I go through this horrible pain. So how do they deal with grieving their own loss and the hurt that comes with watching us go through our loss and try to be the supportive parent? At least no one expected me to be supportive!

So to our parents, thank you. Thank you for being brave for us, thank you for crying for us and with us. While your tears do hurt me, they also heal. Thank you letting us talk about Jonathan and for not making us talk about him. Mostly, thank you for your prayers. They are being answered everyday.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Naomi--As a parent, the hardest thing in the world to accept is to watch your child suffer and to know that there is nothing in my earthly power I can do to kiss this owie and make it go away. The only power I have is that which Jesus taught us to do and demonstrated so many times--Prayer. I am so PROUD of you and Tim for the way you are walking through this and shown us all how you can be real and vulnerable and show such grace. ~MOM

Angel Mom said...

I, too, have spent a lot of time thinking about how S's death affected my parents and my husband's parents.

It sounds like you and your husband have been blessed with wonderful mothers and fathers. What a gift.

Melissa Mae said...

I just sent this to my mom and dad because you captured so well what I've tried to say to my parents. They were also very supportive and I'm so thankful for everything they did for me when I lost my Sarah. Thank you for helping me find the words.

Anonymous said...

I haven't been on the internet for a long time and just tonight am catching up on some of your feelings, and thoughts over the past weeks. I still have a several to read, it's hard at times, anyway that is part of what I am writing now..

It IS truly painful to watch your children hurt so bad. There have been times before in my life that I have hurt for my children and if I remember the situation the painful feeling can come back, but this situation was probably the hardest thing I have ever had to experience with my childrenit is a double pain, and because there is no changing what has happened, no thinking thru, if we do this or that then things will be better.

But I do have hope for the pain to ease, for the sadness to be replaced by joy that God can give that is supernatural. I know God is walking thru this with you and that gives me comfort.