Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The Community of God

One of the very first things I learned about God through our loss is that he takes care of us through the low spots in our life. I was amazed with the care we received from our church family, small group and of course family. You kind of expect that family will be there for you, but who knows about anyone else. We received cards and calls from so many. But what was even more astonishing was the great lengths that others went out to to care for our family. A couple of women from church did our laundry. I really don't know them well enough for them to want to wash my families undergarments, but we needed help. (I'll come back to accepting help.) Women from our MOPS group brought meals, came and hung out with me after Tim returned to work. They helped me care for my children, run Bria's birthday party, and were simply there for us.

What struck me most was the way God has prepared us and our community for our loss. The fall before we lost Jonathan a couple joined our small group. They had experienced the loss of their baby boy at 21 weeks gestation, just 6 years before. What amazing people for God to put in our lives. A friend of Tim's parents named herself Mama number 3 to check in on us while Rick and Mary had to be out of the country shortly after everything happened. Now, here was someone who God brought to our lives, well before I even met Tim, who would be there for us and care for us many years later. Aunt Norma came to stay with us to take care of our family and to listen to our hurts.

Not only did we have direct support like that, but we had amazing indirect support from others. People went to watch my friend's kids (and mine at the same time, that is like 3 sets of twins!) so that Michele could be with us at the hospital. There were people who were able to give her encouragement to continue to be an encouragement to us. Amazing.

So, as I was questioning God about why he would do this to us. After all, he knows all things. When we got pregnant with Jonathan, he knew what the outcome would be. So why do this? Does he really love us? Yes, he does. He prepared us for this moment in time before we knew we needed it. I kept being reminded of his love through the people that he put in our lives. So thank you to all of you who allowed your self to be used by the all loving and all knowing God.

No comments: